Ibstock plc’s 2018 Sustainability Report – sets out its sustainability priorities for the next five years.
At the heart of the report is the introduction of the Group’s Sustainability Roadmap 2025. This communicates clear targets for the business – each of which falls under four core objective areas: Customers and Suppliers, People, Environment and Communities. The ambitions set out in the roadmap will drive Ibstock’s operations and deliver positive impacts for people, the planet and society.
Key environmental targets to 2025 are outlined under its Environmental objectives, including:
- Zero waste to landfill
- 5% reduction in mains water use per tonne of production
- 10% increase in sales of sustainable solutions
- 15% reduction in CO2 per tonne of production
Some of the successful projects carried out during the reporting period include:
- The commissioning of Ibstock Brick’s new Eclipse factory and a new kiln at Lodge Lane.
- 100% of Forticrete’s process waste was recycled with none sent to landfill.
- Full and partial upgrades to LED technology at 10 factories delivering up to 65% savings compared to traditional lighting technologies.
- Installation of electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure at four sites.
- 62% of water used in production came from non-mains sources such as recycled water, boreholes and quarries.
Looking to the future, the Group has plans to install solar panels at its head office as well as a rolling programme to upgrade all of its sites to LED lighting technologies by the end of 2020.
Joe Hudson, Chief Executive Officer of Ibstock plc, comments:
“Delivering sustainable performance across the Group is a key priority for us. Over the last 12 months, we have been recognised and rewarded for the fantastic, positive work we are doing to make our business and our products more sustainable. We are now moving into the next stage in our sustainability journey.
“As such, our Sustainability Roadmap 2025 will drive much of our effort and innovation over the next five years. Our sustainability ambitions will be achieved by putting people and performance at the heart of our Company. Together with targeted investment in operational excellence and our focus on market led innovation we will achieve our goals. Our sustainability priorities and ambitions will drive the performance of our operations to deliver positive impacts for our people, our planet and society.”
Mark Brind, Group Continuous Improvement and Sustainability Director, comments:
“Our Sustainability Roadmap to 2025 presents a clear pathway towards greater sustainability across our business. With these targets, we can clearly communicate our ambitions and encourage the involvement and engagement of all of our stakeholders.”