To construct a new humanities building at the school’s Landsdown Road grounds, within a Conservation Area and World Heritage site. The new building was to be conceived as a contemporary interpretation of the adjacent Ferens Building, built in 1924.
Originally conceived as a stone building, the architects successfully argued in favour of long dark brick because of its resemblance to slate block, a building material heavily used in the surrounding area. The brick, Linear Fireborn Blue Riven, was laid with a third lap stretcher bond and 5mm flush joints to create continuity around the building. The use of Southampton Black mortar and thin joints creates the impression of continuous brickwork, dramatically framing the deep set recessed windows and echoing the rhythm of the Ferens façade.